The regular meeting of the Chesapeake Airport Authority was held via Zoom technology platform on Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 7:00 p.m., from the Chesapeake Airport, Chesapeake Virginia.
|MEMBERS PRESENT:||C.T. Cowling, Richard Cheliras, Gregg Benshoff, Chad Diederich, Wynn Dixon, Paul Chappell, and Meredith Kennedy|
|MEMBERS ABSENT:||Don Britt and Richard McMillian|
|AIRPORT MANAGER:||Chris Schrantz|
|AIRPORT STAFF:||Mary Cover|
|LEGAL COUNSEL:||Anita Poston, Vandeventer Black LLP|
|CITY LIAISON:||George Hrichak, City Garage|
CALL TO ORDER
Chairman Cowling called the meeting to order and advised the members of the process to be followed during the electronic meeting. Roll was taken with attendance as noted above.
RESOLUTION TO ALLOW REMOTE PARTICIPATION
The Chairman entertained a motion by Ms. Kennedy that was properly seconded to certify and approve the remote meeting.
The Chesapeake Airport Authority Board is meeting at 7:00 PM on May 11, 2021 pursuant to the Operating Policies adopted by the Virginia General Assembly to allow the governing board of a public body to meet by electronic communication means without a quorum of the members physically assembled in one location when the Governor has declared a state of emergency;
Whereas, the Governor has declared a state of emergency due to the COVID-19 pandemic the nature of which makes it impractical and unsafe for the Members and staff of the Authority to assemble in a single location; and
Whereas, the purpose of the meeting is to discuss and transact the business necessary to continue operations of the Authority and the Chesapeake Regional Airport which it owns and operates; and
Whereas, the Authority shall make available a recording or transcript of the meeting following the meeting; and
Whereas, the Authority has given notice to the public of its meeting all as required in accordance with the law; and
Whereas, the public has access to this meeting through electronic means through an audio connection provided by Zoom Meeting Platform; and
Whereas this Resolution shall be filed in the minutes of the meeting.
Now therefore, the Authority hereby finds and certifies that the aforesaid conditions for the holding of this meeting remotely have been satisfied, and the holding of the meeting by electronic means is hereby approved.
A roll call vote was taken as follows:
A motion was made by Meredith Kennedy and duly seconded by Richard Cheliras and passed 5-1.
Welcome to New Member – Gregg Benshoff
MOTION TO APPROVE THE MINUTES FROM APRIL MEETING
A motion was made and duly seconded, to accept the minutes from the April 2021 meeting. The motion passed unanimously.
MOTION TO APPROVE FINANCIAL STATEMENTS
Ms. Kennedy reviewed the financial statements for April 2021 and made a motion to approve the financial statements as presented. The motion was duly seconded and passed unanimously.
INVOICES OVER $1,000
Mr. Schrantz recited all invoices over $1000: Door Engineering $1,397.98 (Hangar Door Repairs). A motion to approve was made, duly seconded, and approved unanimously.
HORIZON LEASE EXTENSION
Mr. Schrantz requested that the Authority grant a lease extension to Horizon Aviation through December 31, 2021. A motion to approve was made, duly seconded, and approved 5-0 with Mr. Diederich abstaining.
Mr. Schrantz stated that we were given a 23,000 grant in COVID Relief funds and that he would like to use it to replace the six noted HVACS as well as requesting that he would be allowed to solicit bids for this replacement and that the authority grant him the authority to make up the differences in costs with Airport operating funds. A motion to approve was made, duly seconded, and approved unanimously.
DOAV RULE REQUIREMENT
Mr. Schrantz requested that a change be made in our Rules and Regulations that is in conflict with DOAV rules requirement. Mr. Schrantz brief the members on the change and the need for the change. A motion to approve was made, duly seconded, and approved unanimously.
CAPITAL DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
Mr. Cheliras that the capital development committee has been asked to meet with a business that has a business opportunity that it would like to discuss. Mr. Schrantz will be setting up the meeting.
ENGINEERS REPORT By Steve Peterson, Talbert & Bright
T-Hangar Pavement Rehabilitation – Phase 1 (Construction)
Reclamation of the Phase I area has been completed. Cement has been added to the reclaimed material, mixed and fine graded. A proof roll was performed on the prepared subgrade. There were a few areas that needed to be undercut and have been replaced with full depth stone. Chip seal has been completed on the prepared surface.
The contractor will be completing the replacement of existing concrete pipe culverts that were found to be deteriorated. This work will be completed tomorrow, and paving is scheduled for Thursday. By the next meeting, the contractor should be substantially complete.
The contractor is on contract day 36 of 60 and is tracking to be completed ahead of schedule.
T-Hangar/Terminal Parking Lot Pavement Rehabilitation – Phase 2 (Design)
The 90% review set is being finalized and will be submitted to the DOAV and airport by close of business tomorrow. Plans will be advertised on June 6th.
Bids will be opened July 6th. Bid packages are due to the DOAV by July 20th for the August VAB meeting.
Runway and Taxiway Lighting Rehabilitation
The 35% submittal package was submitted to the FAA, DOAV and Airport Manager. The plans are currently being reviewed by the FAA. Comments have been received from the airport and the DOAV. This project is currently show in FY22 of the federal fiscal year. FAA comments are still pending. The project is still scheduled to bid in April 2022.
- A holdover from April is the CRSSA or Corona Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act grant opportunity for $23,000 in supplemental funding in response to COVID. That grant specifically identifies HVAC systems as an eligible expense along with debt service. I am recommending that CAA give the manager authority to replace all aging HVAC systems utilizing the CRSSA fund to defray the costs of the public space air conditioning units and further allow for the replacement of units that have exceeded their useful life (1996, 1998 and 2001) *
- The Planning Commission voted 5 to 3 for the approval of a conditional use permit to construct a solar generation facility on the acreage to the northeast of the airport on the approach to runway 23. That item is slated to come before city council for a vote next week on May 18th.
- The director of finance for the city has presented us with some questions regarding the anticipated revenue bond. We updated the information in light of the increased prices of construction materials. The latest estimate on project construction including A&E costs have now risen $715,000 above original. We are now looking at needing $4.4M revenue bond to construct 2 hangars and a flight school facility.
- We have been approached by a powered parachute operator looking to operate from CPK. The powered parachute is required to operate from the licensed landing area which is pavement. I have checked with the DOAV regarding the operational characteristics of the powered parachute and the expectation of DOAV in hosting the activity.
- A review of the Rules for CPK revealed a small piece of language that is contrary to the state requirement for the airport to limit the operations to and from the airport to the paved surface only. I am recommending CAA to adopt the rules with the contrary language removed-all else remaining unchanged at this time.
- Horizon Aviation has presented an email request for lease extension. Since the current extension expires in June, an extension is proper at this time.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.
Meeting Minutes Archive
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES April 20, 2016
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES March 9, 2016
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES February 10, 2016
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES January 13, 2016
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES December 9, 2015
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES November 4, 2015
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES October 14, 2015
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES September 9, 2015
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES August 12, 2015
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES July 8, 2015
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES June 10, 2015
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES May 13, 2015
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES April 8, 2015
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES March 18, 2015
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES February 11, 2015
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES January 14, 2015
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES December 10, 2014
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES November 12, 2014
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES October 8, 2014
CHESAPEAKE AIRPORT AUTHORITY MINUTES September 10, 2014